- This event has passed.
Education Week 2023: Fundamentals of Floral Design
Registration deadline: Tuesday, February 28th, 2023
Floral Experience: No previous experience required
- $1,049 + tax includes all mechanics supplies and fresh flowers for hands-on portion. Please bring an apron(optional), sharp floral knife, floral shears, scissors, and wire cutter.
- Coffee, snacks, and hot lunch included
- Flowers and Foliage Care and Handling 101
- Retail Shop Procedures: Mark-up and Pricing
- How to Run a Profitable Floral Business
- Guided Hands-On Design: Basic Floral Design Techniques
Basic vase design methods and construction techniques:
- Rose vase arrangement – 6 and 12 stems
- Mixed flower vase arrangements
Spiral handtied technique:
- Construction of handtied mixed flower bouquet
- Green a vase for a mixed flower arrangement
- Vase arrangement using a spiral handtied bouquet
- One-sided, small triangle arrangement in floral foam
- One-sided, large triangle arrangement in floral foam (sympathy/funeral arrangement)
- Asymmetrical triangle arrangement in floral foam (centrepiece)
- Traditional wiring and taping technique for corsage and boutonniere
- All-around centrepiece arrangement in floral foam
- Round bridal bouquet in a fresh floral foam holder
Instructor: Lea Romanowski, CAFA, AIFD, CAFD
Lea is the owner of Designing on the Edge. She has used her experience and expertise to become a mentor, teaching floral/event/wedding design for the last fifteen years. Her work has been featured in Canadian Florist, Floriology, Canadian Special Events, WED LUX, Metro and Avenue. She is a National and International award winning designer and creative event professional. After over three decades in floral design, Lea lives in a world where imagination meets art in fantastic floral and sculptural creations. With thousands of events and weddings under her belt, the next opportunity to create is always a welcomed challenge. She believes all good designers start with a great foundation of the principles and elements of floral design. Understanding shop operation, time management and profitability are just as important as the design foundation.
Learn more about Lea: designingontheedge.ca
Taxes will be added to the cost. Registration fees include all fresh flowers for hands-on portion. Registration fees do not include flights or accommodations. Hotel group rates are available under “Florists Supply”. COVID-19 guidelines may be in place if legislated by the Government of Canada and/or Province of Alberta.
“I learned both floral design and business skills, theory, and mechanics with Florists Supply that I now reference in all of my designs and day-to-day. Hearing personal hacks and tips from experienced designers are always amazingly helpful.”